Please be specific about the reason why your child will not be attending school today. When communicating with the school about your child's absence indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise)
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
If your child(ren) will be absent or late for any reason, please notify the main office using one of the following methods.
- Use the online attendance form before 8:50 a.m.
- Call the school attendance line at 703-227-3535.
- Send an email to @email before 8:50 a.m.
Schools are required to account for all absences; therefore, school personnel will call to check absentees not accounted for in advance. Since this is a time-consuming process, your call is greatly appreciated. This procedure does not relieve the parent of the need to write a note supporting the absence. Virginia State Law and the Fairfax County School Board Policy require that a written note of explanation from the parent or guardian be presented to the classroom teacher when the student returns to school.
Students who are not in their classrooms by 8:50 a.m. are considered tardy and must report to the office before going to their classrooms.
Attendance - General Guidelines
FCPS believes, and research has shown, that students who regularly attend school have the most academic success. Parents and school staff members can work together to encourage students to participate fully in the school program—by being present, arriving on time, and being connected, committed and engaged in the learning process.
Absence or tardiness for the following reasons are considered excused:
- Illness of the student
- Death in the family or family emergency
- Medical appointment
- Observance of a religious holiday
Absence or tardiness for the following reasons are considered unexcused:
- Family trip
- Child care problems
- Non-school related activities
- Missing the bus
Early Release Guidelines
Lees Corner will excuse a student during the day for valid reasons. Parents should send a written request to the teacher and send an email to @email when their child must leave early. Parents must come to the school office to pick up and sign out their child. We will not allow a student to walk home alone during the school day, nor will we release your child to anyone other than a parent or guardian without approval by a parent.
Family Trip Guidelines
We encourage family trips during scheduled school vacations. We strongly discourage such trips during the school year because these extended unexcused absences interrupt sequential learning in many subject areas. Homework is not given in advance. We must withdraw any student from our enrollment who is absent from school for 15 consecutive days or more. Upon the student’s return, a parent must again officially enroll him or her.
Keep Us In the Loop - How Do We Contact You?
Your emergency contact information is very important. It accompanies your child everywhere he or she goes—even on field trips. The information is vital to us and to you. Phone numbers, addresses, and the names of the adults you permit to take your child from school should all be kept current.
You can input, access, and update your child’s emergency care information via the FCPS program, [email protected], which is available through the your personal ParentView account on FCPS 24/7. It is fast, easy, and safe. Parents recieve a ParentView account when they register SIS Parent Account, please use this link to find out how to register your SIS Parent Account.
The paper version of the emergency care form is still available if you choose to use this method to provide your information. It is not necessary for you to complete both the paper form and the new online tool.